Saturday, October 18, 2008

Back in Action






Alright, so I am back up and running.  Between a dead camera and crappy internet service I was out of commission for a while... but with both problems solved here I am.

So since my last post a lot of stuff has happened!  I got a car (subaru outback), found an apartment on the southeast portion of town (about a 15 minute commute to work in "good" weather, all bets are off otherwise), and finally received my goods!  I tell you, nothing could have made me happier than getting all of my stuff (in tact) on Tuesday and sleeping on my bed again.

I have started work, and it is going well.  I work 10 hr. shifts, preferably 4 per week, with somewhere between 2 and 5 days off after each week.  Unfortunately, tonight marks the beginning of 5 straight midnight shifts (10pm-8am), two days off, then 4 more midnight shifts.  So that should be fun!  The position that I was hired for (essentially working the public desk and doing random duties) is short of people right now, so my training has been somewhat rearranged.  Of utmost importance is my certification for launching weather balloons, or radiosondes, for the compilation of upper-air data for assimilation into weather models (as well as for quick forecasting usage, radar info., and pilot briefings).  I have been reading these two thick, governmentally-written, manuals.... which put any of the most verbose academic journal articles I have ever read to shame.  And I have read hundreds of journal articles.  Originally, people who had to take this exam were given around 90 days to study.... we have two weeks max!

I am being trained by two people, a native Aleut (from St.Paul for all you Deadliest Catch fans) John, and by the guy whose position I am filling, Sam.  John has been super helpful, and tonight will be my first time working with Sam... though by all accounts he's the perfect guy for the job.

Enough of work... because I have had the opportunity to see some pretty cool stuff before work got cranked up.  I apologize for the quality for the some of the following photos, as my battery was pretty much dead, so I had about one second to take a picture.

First, I made a car camping trip down to the Kenai Peninsula, which was cut short by the first big snowfall of the year....you dont want to mess around with some of those mountain passes!  I succeeded in catching a hog of a rainbow trout on the new fly rod, somewhere between 8-10 lbs.  He made me reconsider my claim that all freshwater fish fight like pansies.  I also had my first Grizzly Bear encounter.  He was across the river, swam over to the gravel bar I was fishing on... at which point I gladly conceded my post.  He seemed to be a young male bear, somewhere around 600lbs or so. Not big (for a grizzly).  At that point I decided to definitely carry some bear spray with me starting next spring, and will strongly consider adding a .44 or .454 to my collection of firearms.  

People had warned me, but I guess I was somewhat naive in the threat? I'm not sure, but those bears are freaky!  Anyways, here is a pic on the drive home of some of the Kenai Peninsula lit up with fall colors.  I promise if I had to post all of the pictures I have taken I would never accomplish anything... it's just too freaking beautiful here.

So after the Kenai adventure I have mostly been sticking around town, doing some fishing for rainbows and landlocked salmon in area lakes.  These fish are fairly small (maxing out around 18 inches), but are always willing to bite, and will not shy away from dry flies.

I also went to a lake north of town, Beach Lake, and caught a couple of Arctic Grayling, which was something I had really wanted to do.   They are an interesting fish, with a sort of sail, although not as extreme as a sailfish.  These are little ones, but I am looking forward to chasing the big ones come May.  Here is a pic of one of the Grayling, slippery suckers!

Yesterday I went to this area north of town on the northern tip of what is called the Knik Arm, the norther extent of Cook Inlet.  I took Maddy to try to shoot some rabbits (or grouse).  It was an interesting experience, but long story short I struck out.  It was an awesome time though, and I was afforded an awesome view when the fog finally lifted in the late afternoon.  It was pretty cool to see 6000 ft. mountains as I stood at sea level.  Pretty Intense.

I'm going to go get ready for work now, so more to follow later!

Ok so i cant figure out how to get the pictures where i want them... but I will figure it out later. Enjoy


4 comments:

j mills said...

Hey Nate,Sounds like you are having a great time! I knew you would. The pictures are absolutely beautiful! :) I'm glad you're keeping a blog so we can all stay in the know on how everything is going. Good luck with work! :)

Jennifer

jhardin said...

whats up brother man? Yeah its me I was just reading your blog. It sounds like you are really right there in your elememt. Im really proud of you not to sound all mushy and all but I really am and always have been. I know that this is something that you will never forget and have many crazy and interesting stories about. I really hope to get up there asap just me and you so you can school me on the great outdoors. Well brother man keep up the good work and Im here if you ever might need me. BE SAFE!!!!!!!

Josh

Unknown said...

Hi Nate, wow, they really do have grass growing in Alaska! Last time I was there it was a frozen, white tundra. It sounds like you are enjoying yourself and having many fun adventures. In addition to packing a firearm for fishing, I think we really need to check into the personal locator beacon! Love, Mom

Grandma T said...

Hi Nathan, I texted Aunt Kitty Kat that you were back and had awesome pictures for her 4th grade class. They had been bugging her daily to check your blog for weeks. It is so educational and I know they will learn a lot and be inspired by you.

Maybe we can all pitch in to purchase a personal beacon locator for your Christmas present and (for your Mom's sake!-peace of mind), Maybe she could bring it to you when she visits Thaksgiving.
Hope you feel safe with your GPS since it seems you are exploring Alaska. I was Grandma but I forgot how to get to the leave a comment and had to set up another name so that's why I am now Grandma T.