Sunday, December 14, 2008

So I've Been Thinking...

Of warm places and sunshine. Before I get to that though, let me share a couple of things. Sam sent me the post-harvest picture of me and my shrew. It is a picture that reminds me visually of how ridiculous I am at times:



People in the office had commented on the shrew problem, and I encountered this fellow on a few occasions throughout the night. Sam saw the little fella over near his desk, so I hopped over with a stapler, pulled him out by his tail... and the rest is history.

As I mentioned in the earlier post... the moon has been freaking incredible! Full, bright.. and what do you know, we have clear skies. We've also had a lot of freezing fog, so basically everything is coated in hoarfrost. It's a site to behold. Seeing as Sam is the resident photographer around here, I refer you to his blog (linked at right) to check out some awesome pictures he took the other night.

Unfortunately, with the clear skies, it has become much much colder. At the office we dropped down to -1 the other night, but the eastern part of town has seen readings down near -5 to -10 degrees. Thankfully I have good long underwear... and I wear it all the time... even at work. They make fun of me. My Carolina blood runs thin though, what can I say?

With the cold weather, and snow, and general darkness I have been thinking a lot about warm places. It's funny the memories and images that come to mind. Summers out at Hatteras. This beautiful beach in St. Maarten. Hanging out at Pine Knoll Shores in the sun all day... a day with no wind. When the water's emerald green, and beautifully refreshing. You get so much sun, that by the end of the day you have that crispy feeling... and when we all go to the dock on the sound in the evening to watch the sunset, you get chills a little bit.

City Beach in Perth, when it was hotter than crap, but the water was so cold. Waikiki. That time a few summers ago when Justin, Dave, Liz, and I went out on the boat in the afternoon to hang out and fish. We got in the middle of this thunderstorm... but it felt so good to be soaking wet and we were all just laughing. And we started driving towards the AB bridge and there was this rainbow stretching right in front of us across the sound. It was like we were in the rainbow.

The Barta Billfish tournament this past summer with Dad and Wade, when you start heading down sea and lose the wind. And the deck just turns reflects all that heat and it gets so freaking hot that you feel nauseous.

The first summer down at the beach when Cameron, John, and I went down to the sandbags at the point at Bogue Inlet and kept catching stupid lizardfish. Standing in waist deep, crystal clear water, throwing those lizardfish at John because they freaked him out so much.

Or earlier this year down in Islamorada, sitting on the docks at Bud and Mary's with dad seeing what the charter boats had caught. It was so warm, so sunny. The sky was so blue.

The list goes on, but those are the ones that always come to mind. The point is... all these things seem so far away... and I reckon they are. But man, they are a must have when it's negative one billion outside and your nostrils freeze everytime you breathe.

I guess my point is, I wouldn't trade any of those experiences for anything in the world!

2 comments:

jhardin said...

I've enjoyed the posts Nate, keep it up! And I mistakenly thought hunting was an outdoor sport!

Justin said...

What about the boat times...