Monday, April 6, 2009

Redoubt Continued

19 eruptions thus far. Thankfully things have started to get a bit quieter though...until Saturday morning at about 6 am. Redoubt had a pretty intense eruption...one of the most powerful yet. The ash went about 50,000 ft. up, but this eruption lasted for over an hour.

I've got more images to share, especially for those who like satellite images and other assorted weather weenie things.

First... here is a video a guy took of one of the eruptions. It's a time lapse of 26 minutes I think? Gives you a great idea for how ridiculously powerful a volcano is:

http://vimeo.com/3892358

The video is of previous eruptions, whereas the rest of this stuff is from recent eruptions.

This is a MODIS image (satellite), true color, taken today. You can really see the ash down on the southern Kenai Peninsula. I always like satellite images of this place, because it gives you such a good idea of how huge the state really is! For example, it takes about 5 hours to drive to Homer. Homer being the city/town most affected by this particular ashfall. I think it's funny that Homer is a big destination for people from Anchorage...but it's so far away. It's like driving to DC from Raleigh.



Moving on...here's some web cam images from Homer Saturday morning. Crazy stuff. The first image is around 630 am, right when it's starting to get light out these days. Next image is from 7:20 am. You can tell something's not quite right, because it looks sort of "orange-ish" outside. This is the approaching ash cloud. Next, at 7:40 am, essentially pitch black night outside. Mmmm ashfall. Good stuff!







I have been meaning to upload some pictures I took here around town when we had some ashfall. I also collected some ash samples (as requested), so those should be reaching the inquirees soon enough.

I'll stop here, so I can get back to work (yay for midnight shifts). Otherwise, things are going alright these days. We've had some beautiful days, with a whole lot of daylight. Up to about 14 hours a day now. When i drove in to work tonight, at 9:45, it was still twilight outside. Wierd stuff. Oh yea I forgot the bonus webcam sunrise image of redoubt the other morning. pretty spectacular if you ask me.

1 comment:

Meg said...

I liked the video, pretty amazing!
Cam and I have blog! Check it!:
http://www.babyboltes.blogspot.com/